Bring On The Birds!

Oh my gosh guys, we have to talk about the project I finished this past week! I am so in love with how it turned out.

I was out running some errands and I decided to pop in to Goodwill to see what they had; I am so glad I did! I don’t normally look through the textiles, but I had watched a YouTuber that mentioned she upcycles vintage bed sheets and I thought it would be fun to see what I could find. I didn’t find anything vintage, but I found the most amazing scarf I have ever seen! I had no idea what I was going to do with it at the time but, for 99 cents, it was definitely coming home with me.

img_3616

I don’t have a picture of the entire scarf because once I figured out what to do with it, I was really excited and forgot to take a picture before I cut it to size. The picture is a left over piece that I will certainly be using on another project.

So, by now, you are probably wondering what I did with this amazing textile…I made the most beautiful piece of Art Deco-esque artwork for my living room; and it was so cheap and easy!

I had a beautiful old frame that I was planning to  use for a different project, but I could never get it to look quite how I envisioned it, so it was shelved awhile ago and the frame has just been knocking around the shop in need of another coat of paint ever since. I had started painting it a dark green, and fortunately, that color works very well with the scarf, so all I had to do it get another coat on it and it was ready. (I also added a gold highlight that you will see on the final product.)

As you can see, originally I was going to use the frame with a coffee bean bag, but I just wasn’t happy with that so I’m going to use the bag for something else. The second picture is what the frame had looked like ever since I gave up on said project. (Also, look how cute my dog is!)

While the paint on the frame dried, I cut the scarf to size using the piece of press board that I had cut for my failed project. Once that was done, I used Mod Podge to adhere the scarf material to the board. In total, I did the initial layer on the board and three top coat layers to make sure it was nice and durable.

Once the green paint on the frame was dry, I added the gold trim. Next, I inserted the press board turned art into the frame and secured it with some small nails. Finally, I added the eye hooks and picture wire and then hung that bad boy in my living room.

Here is the final result:

I am in love with this picture. It makes me smile every time I walk into the room. I use a lot of vintage art to decorate my home, so it was fun to be able to make something “new” that fits with my other pieces.

I’m not sure of the final cost, but I know it wasn’t much. The frame I believe cost around four dollars, the green paint is an oops gallon I got for five dollars, (I have so much left!) the press board was a scrap piece, the gold paint was left over from another project and, as I stated earlier, the scarf was 99 cents. So all in all, I’d say this beauty didn’t cost more than six dollars! That’s a win all day every day in my book.

Well that’s it for this project, thanks for sticking with me all the way to the end. I hope this post finds you well and that you are creating things that make you smile. Be blessed and remember: Keep. It. Creative.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s